8.04.2007

Win ( and course record) in Mississippi


I got back early this afternoon from what I think may be the best small triathlon in America. Bryan Cooper from the Tupelo Multisport team and his gang put on an amazing event. The swim, bike and run are incredibly well marked. i am famous for getting lost on race courses, and this one was my dream come true. No way to get lost. At one point, there was a fire truck closing the road ahead so that the athletes would see the right turn where they were supposed to go.

The post race food was amazing. No cheap Sam's Club stuff. Real soft drinks and pizza from a great local restaurant. Very well manned, plenty of cheerful volunteers, and a 8:30 start so you don't have to get up too early. All of those things are big pluses for me.

Now on to the race report. I was 2nd out of the water to a former collegiate swimmer, 39 sec down. With a speedy transition, I was within 15 sec before I had done 100 revolutions on my bike. We went back and forth, passing one another, until i decided to put the hammer down and came into T2 with a 40 sec lead, just a few seconds shy of the bike course record.

The run was 3.6 miles and I was hurting, and not moving very fast. All of the miles I have been putting in certainly made me tired, especially at the end. But I ended up with the win and a new course record in 1:28 and change.
After the race, both FOX and WCBI news wanted interviews, so I guess all of the TV time lately has been improving my interviewing skills. i was also interviewed by the local newspaper

Next weekend, I will be at the Mountain Lakes Triathlon, if all goes to plan this week.

Ciao,

Felipe
coached by Marc Becker at IronGuides.net