5.31.2008

Rock&RollMan Southeast Long Course Championship

Exactly six days after winning the TriAmerica New Orleans event, I found myself lining aup against the Deep South's very best at today's Rock&RollMan.

This is my 4th time at the event, and I really wanted to finish better than 3rd, which is what I have gotten in year's past. I was feeling "on" this morning, and after leading the swim, I started the bike strong to hold off Dan Moss, a friend and fellow pro who has won this race the past 3 years, all of them with a killer bike ride. I led the race to mile 11, when he passed me. I followed him for a couple of minutes and decided to repass him. He is clearly a stronger cyclist than I am, and my only goal in doing this was to break his spirit. He followed me for about a minute and then really passed me. Within 3 miles, he was 45 seconds up the road.


I ended the hilly and windy bike ride in 4th place, 2:35 down from 2nd and 3rd. I started the run on a mission and found myself in 3rd place by mile 5. Before mile 8, I was in 2nd.

From then onward, my main focus became to maintain my gap and to survive the remainder of the blazin' hot run, the remainder of the scalding hot 13.1 mile run. Right before the line I reached for my brazilian flag, but had too little energy to wave it, and only carried it over the line. I was in a deep hole. 2 IV's layter and I was functional again.
I ended up 4:50 down from first which is the closest I have ever been to the winner. I was only 54 seconds ahead of Chris Olson's 3rd place finish, a tight finsih. He had a terrific race this year and really made me fight hard for 2nd. I am looking forward t a little break this coming week, as my body is pretty nuked from the past week's efforts.