6.27.2008

Alabama State Games: Gold Medal!

This is my first ever State Games title and I am thrilled! It's one I have wanted and chased for quite some time. Following last week's 14 second loss at the Buster Britton Triathlon ( in the pouring rain) this time the sun was high, and the temps as well. I took advantage of this and really put the hurt down.

I ended up cracking the hour barrier ( which had never been done at the Games before) and setting a new course record as well as the fastest time in all 3 disciplines. the run was 2 laps in the woods, totally XTerra like, and it really was an advantage as gteh trails were very similar to the conditions I train under at home - lots of ups and downs, roots, etc...

The race happened at a summer camp YMCA, so after the awards ceremony and some grilled burgers, we all went into the lake and played on the water trampolin, rock climbking icebern with slide as well as other amazing water toys. I am defintiely coming back next year!

I will now have a few weeks focusing on regaining fitness ( racing means a lot of tapering and less training than normal) to prepare for the Fall races.