8.19.2008

Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Calgary, Canada


In what turned out to be more like a day in a Caribbean island than in The Great White North, I ended up 2nd at the Lake Chaparral Triathlon in Calgary, Canada this past Sunday.

I had a below par swim and bike. The 5-lap course turned out to be quite crowded and even a little bit dangerous, and my decision to play it safe made me lose at least 2 minutes in the downhills and turns, especially when behind more novice athletes. I wanted to make sure I was not going to meet asphalt, so I was extra careful when around others.

My run was great, though, and in a course that was actually 11km I ended up with one of the fastest splits.

The race went well, and although my swim and bike were sub par for me, I had a great run and was able to make up the lost ground on the previous 2 legs. It surprised me that Calgary can be so hot and windy, it felt more like a race in the tropics than in the land of frozen tundra. I was quite pleased that my body did so well in the 92F ( 33C) heat, and it really let me know my preparation is on track to finish the season as strongly as I started it.

I brought my Edge 1-68 tubulars and they turned out to be the perfect choice for the 5-lap course. it was windy and had a long, but not too steep climb, and my Edges definitely helped me finish at the pointy end of the race.

I am now preparing for the Callaway Gardens Triathlon ( where I spend 4 days earlier this summer training), and the the Weiss Lake Triathlon, which I won last year. I am hoping for both another win and to break my own course record.