3.25.2009

Race Fitness

My body usually takes a while to reach 'race fitness' each season. I usually end up doing events in early March that turn out being reality checks for me.

This season has been particularly bad in regards to reaching race fitness. It is important to distinguish fit from race fit - and know I am fit, for many recent individual sessions tell me so.

However, putting it all together from a number of sessions into one successful event is more difficult. As an example: recently, I did a workout that consisted of a bike warm up, a steady aerobic session, then 15 x 1k running, on the road. I use a 1k, not flat, stretch of road inside my neighborhood. do a km out, then a km back. It starts right from my house, goes downhill a little, turns right, slight uphill, turn right, uphill slightly, then downhill slightly, left turn, then flat the remainder of the 500m. the average rest was 30 seconds, and each k was just under 3:30 average. Nothing earth shattering, but an ok pace for a half ironman.

The first race of the season should happen shortly though, so I can see where the fitness currently stands putting all 3 sports together.