4.06.2009

First Race, First Win

This weekend I was finally able to remove all of the cobwebs from my racing legs for the season.

It was a day of many firsts for me: first overall, first ever off-road race, first race of the season, and first win in a Duathlon. The race consisted of a 5k trail run, a 9.6 mile MTB ride through muddy trails, followed by another 5k run. I went back and forth between 1st and 3rd place through the entire race, but through the adversity of my competitors ( one crashed out, and another went off course), I was able to clench my first win of the season, as well as my first win in an off-road event and a Duathlon.


The Brookside Off-Road Duathlon was my first ever race in a mountain bike, and at times it showed through my lack of skills clearing obstacles, riding through creeks, or waist deep puddles. I was able to overcome that with pure power of the road or the packed dirt sections.I started the 2nd run a full minute off the lead, but was able to run a first of 2 laps in 7:45, and begin the last lap with a 5 sec lead, which eventually grew to a 35 second winning margin, crossing in 1:23:50.

I will be racing a local Aquathlon in 2 weeks, and then the Scenic City Triathlon on April 26.